Thursday, April 21, 2011

Subbing Spaghetti: ShaCha Stir Fry


It works! Subbing spaghetti (linguini) in place of your la mian (technically hand pulled noodles, but I'm thinking just the dried, manufactured la mian) works. And it makes sense, given that they're both wheat noodles. I imagine maybe typically made from different kinds of wheat or with other variation in process, but it ends up being very similar. So what I did here was to make a mixed noodle dish--what we might call 拌面 ban mian in Chinese--with linguini noodles instead of la mian or other rice or wheat noodle. I say "might" because often times in my family we'd just straight up say "mian" or plain old "noodles" unless it was a cold noodle dish, in which case we'd specify "liang ban mian" or cold mixed noodles. But I digress-

I was inspired by the Japanese-Italian fusion restaurants in Japan. In particular, when I went once with a friend while in Kyoto, the dish she had has stuck in my memory since. I can't even remember what I had (I think it wasn't so fusion; some seafood pasta dish), but my friend had a linguini tossed with I think it was pork belly and bok choy. Very savory and delicious, a little too oily. But it was great! So, given that driving out to the Asian markets is inconvenient for me, I thought I'd finally give it a shot. On top of that, I've had this container of shacha sauce for a long time and haven't gotten around to using it. Niutou (Bull Head) brand is the awesome. I've actually only had two kinds that I can think of, those being Niutou and LeeKumKee, but in my opinion Niutou is vastly superior. LeeKumKee's is weirdly sweet to me. Shacha's great as a dip for hot pot (beat with a raw egg!) or as a sauce in general.

 
So tasty.
As with "mixed" or "tossed" noodles in general, I cooked the noodles and the rest of the ingredients separately from each other and tossed the noodles with the rest of the cooked ingredients and some additional seasoning in the wok at the end. The noodles worked and it was good, all in all. I would say I should have added more soy sauce than I did at the end with the noodles, though.

 Veggies are good to go.

Looks appetizing, huh? Kinda like maguro sashimi. But it's raw pork, rather than fish.

Mmm, ginger and pork are so great together. I considered, just momentarily, stopping at this point and eating.

So if you're ever wanting to make an Asian influenced noodle dish and only have spaghetti (or any other pasta, really) in your cupboard, don't despair! Cook up the noodles and toss 'em in the dish; they'll probably be just fine, though the texture will be a little different.


[this is adjusted with increased soy sauce and decreased oil mentioned above]

Sha Cha Pork Stir Fry Linguini 拌麵

Serves 4
Ingredients 
16oz. linguini

.75 lbs pork loin, thick cut (or thin sliced for stir fry from Asian markets, pork belly, it’s all good; I’m speaking for if you’ve only got your typical western market) 
1 TBS ginger, grated 
1 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS rice wine
1 tsp oyster sauce

2 jalapenos (or 1 bell pepper), cored, deseeded, cut into narrow strips
2 carrots, peeled, cut into narrow strips
1 medium onion, sliced thin
~3 cloves garlic, minced
a couple handfuls snow peas, tips removed
1 TBS shacha sauce 沙茶醬

sauce
4 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS shacha sauce
1.5 TBS sesame oil

canola oil


  1. Put pork in freezer 30 minutes to firm up so it’s easier to slice it thin. Remove from freezer and slice thin (about 3 mm).
  2. In medium bowl, toss pork with the ginger, soy sauce, rice wine, and oyster sauce (listed directly beneath pork in ingredients list). Set aside to marinate.
  3. While pork is marinating, bowl water and cook noodles per directions on package or to desired doneness.
  4. While the noodles are cooking (keep an eye on it while you’re working), do the cutting and prep work for the vegetables.
  5. When the noodles are done, remove from heat, put in colander with cold water. Once cooled, strain out the water and set the noodles aside.
  6. With the vegetables cut, noodles cooked, and meat marinated, you’re ready to start stir frying:
  7. Heat wok over high heat until smoke starts to rise from the seasoned metal and swirl in about 1-2 TBS oil.
  8. Add half of pork and sautée, browning both sides until pink is just gone, then remove from wok. Repeat for the second half (may not need add oil), also removing meat from wok.
  9. Heat wok to medium high heat, adding a little more oil. Add garlic and stir fry until fragrant.
  10. Add onions, turn heat to high, stir fry til fragrant.
  11. Add shacha sauce, carrots and jalapenos. Stir fry until carrots are tender crisp.
  12. Add snow peas and toss until snow peas are bright green.
  13. Add meat and noodles in, along with the soy sauce, shacha, and sesame oil listed under “sauce.” Toss to coat noodles, adjust seasoning as needed, remove from heat and serve.
 

3 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! I haven't tried using pasta for recipes like this. It looks really delicious. Thanks for sharing,I'd love to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm that looks so good! You have a beautiful blog, congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete