Saturday, September 17, 2011

Stir-Fried Green Beans


Wow! I was actually literally surprised at how tastily this dish turned out. I'd made good renditions before, but the flavors were really strong and popped when I tasted a bean while cooking (and afterward, too). This dish is my adaptation of the Chinese dish, 乾煸四季豆 gan bian si ji dou, the deep-fried then stir-fried Chinese long bean dish. I just used your easily found haricot vert, or green bean, and stir-fried. Though...according to my Chinese dictionary, gan bian [also?] refers to stir-frying and then broiling or stewing, which is sorta what I did. Hmm. Mysteries...well, I'll just stick with calling it 炒四季豆 chao si ji dou (stir-fried green beans).

In any case, I managed to keep the beans pleasantly crisp while also not being firm, with a bright, spicy-savoriness in my preparation this time. Addictively tasty; I was happy to munch away at these as a snack even between meals.

炒四季豆 Chao SiJiDou (Stir Fried Green Beans)

1 lb. green beans

3 large cloves garlic, sliced (about 1.5 TBS)
1.25-inch piece ginger, cut into thin matchsticks (about 1.5-2 TBS)
2 scallions, sliced into rounds, white and greens divided

1/4 cup chicken stock
2 TBS soy sauce
1/2 tsp brown sugar
4 pickled bird peppers, sliced into rounds (don’t throw out seeds)
            [this will need adjusting depending on the chilies you use]

vegetable oil

  1. Mix the chicken stock, soy sauce, and sugar together so the sugar dissolves.
  2. Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and heat until starting to smoke.
  3. Add ginger, garlic, and scallion whites to the wok and stir fry until ginger has withered and garlic lightly browned.
  4. Add green beans to the wok and toss until beans are coated with oil and starting to turn bright green.
  5. Pour in chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar, chili pepper mixture, toss ingredients, and cover wok. Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until all beans are bright green.
  6. Remove cover and turn heat back up to high heat.
  7. Add scallion greens and toss ingredients high (with two spatulas or what have you) so that the steam escapes, until the liquid at the bottom has mostly evaporated.
  8. Remove from heat and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Yum. This looks good. I like the idea of putting chili into this to give it a boost. I'm familiar with a version of this where the green beans are deep fried and cooked with black olives and pork mince. I always order it when I go to Cantonese restaurants. I've tried to make it at home before, but skipping the deep fry step. Not as sinful, but still good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favourite dishes that I love to cook at home. So easy to cook and healthy!

    ReplyDelete