Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stir-Fried Squid


Squid! 魷魚 you yu, in Chinese, and いか ika in Japanese. Squid is delicious (like I've said otherwise about any food on this blog...but I haven't talked about bitter melon, yet), but you have to be careful not to overcook it, and it overcooks easily, like other seafoods. If you've had rubbery squid, it's because it was overcooked. That was definitely the case with most squid I had growing up, but in spite of the rubbery texture, I still liked it. Hey, I like konnyaku, too, which is rather bouncy. When squid is cooked just right, though, the flesh is very tender, and not rubbery.

I bought a package of two large-ish squid (12 oz. each) on a recent trip to the Super H-Mart in Virginia to try preparing squid for the first time, ever. I ended up doing a stir-fry, pictured above, from a recipe in The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen (Cantonese cuisine), as well as a shouga yaki (ginger stir-fried, though the word "yaki" has many interpretations in English, including baking and grilling), which is a Japanese preparation. Here's the recipe I followed for the shouga yaki. NOTE: you only need to stir-fry the squid for one minute. Two minutes MAX, as Grace Young has it in her Chinese Kitchen recipe, though I think that was a little too long. I definitely didn't follow that part of the shouga yaki recipe linked.


I must say, the first time round prepping the squid was kind-of freaky, what with its squishy, slippery texture, tentacles, suction cups, beak, and eyes. But the second time round, I had the parts figured out and it was much easier.

0 comments:

Post a Comment