Monday, May 21, 2012

Savory Oatmeal


This is my new favorite breakfast: savory oatmeal, with the fried egg on top as bonus. Usually, in America at least, we make oatmeal sweet, adding brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, and/or fresh and dried fruits. But for some reason, I really have to add a fair amount of sugar before it feels like oatmeal is sweet enough to me. However, the same is not the case with savory oatmeal; a relatively little amount of seasoning turns out just right for me.

Don't freak out! We have both sweet and savory rice dishes and breads already, so why not oats? I'm certainly not the first to do it. Try it out some time!

Here's my simple recipe:

Savory Oatmeal with Scallions and Fried Egg

.75 cups old fashioned oats
1.25 cups water
dash of salt
.25 cups soy milk

1 scallion, chopped
1.5 tsp soy sauce

1 fried egg

  1. Bring water to boil with dash of salt. Add oats and reduce to medium heat. Simmer 3 minutes.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add soy milk, stirring for another 1 minute.
  3. Add soy sauce and most of chopped scallions, reserving some for garnishing on top. Stir another 30 seconds.
  4. Pour oatmeal into a bowl, add fried egg* and remaining scallions on top. Enjoy!

*You can fry your egg while cooking the oatmeal.


3 comments:

  1. I just had savory oatmeal for the first time last week - it was wonderful as a dinner side dish, I can't wait to try it for breakfast soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate oatmeal, but recently learned about savory oatmeal that is delicious. I make mine like congee, with water and a few shrimps for the broth, green onions, soy sauce for seasoning. It's like instant congee but much better. I'll have to try it with the egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, I used to hate oatmeal as a kid. I love it now, though, in all its variations, savory, sweet, rolled, quick, or steel-cut. Explore savory oatmeals! There's so much you can do with it. I've a number of other posts about oatmeal on my blog...

      Delete