Saturday, September 15, 2012

Stuffed Anaheim Peppers



Like a hot dog bun substitute! Or, I suppose, like a...stuffed pepper. Since I'm not putting hot dogs in them.

I've been getting these peppers for a while now from my CSA (or maybe they're Cubanelle? The CSA claimed banana peppers, but none of them have been yellow enough in hue, in my opinion) . As ever, stuffing vegetables is a fascination of mine, though I've come to the conclusion that it tends to be more for presentation than for flavor. I mean, you could save yourself some trouble and just chop up the pepper (or squash, as an example of another commonly stuffed food) and cook it with the filling. On the other hand, there is a nice textural novelty to stuff these long, narrow peppers, since you get to bite through the tender-crisp exterior to the soft interior as you eat.

For the stuffing, I had braised lamb on hand from another dish I'd made, so I just stir-fried it with some brown-rice and tomatoes, and added some salsa on top.


For the peppers, I just parboiled them quickly (30-60 seconds) in boiling water to soften them up a touch and make the seeding and stuffing operation smoother. You can't really put these peppers under a broiler for long, as they soften and turn mushy very quickly.


0 comments:

Post a Comment