Thursday, October 18, 2012

Savory Oatmeal: Soy Nuts 'n' Seaweed


I love me some savory oatmeal. Pictured above is another great variation of this simple, flexible concept: savory oatmeal with wakame seaweed and soy nuts.

Dried wakame is very convenient to have in your pantry, as you can just toss it into a soup or other soupy dish (like this oatmeal) in the last minutes of cooking and add a punch of savory flavor and vegetation to your dish.

As for soy nuts, I found out about them a month or two ago and really glommed on to them. Since I can't have tree nuts or peanuts, these are a really great substitute in that they keep well and have a great crunch and nutty flavor--and are a complete protein to boot. You can roast them yourself or, lucky me, one of my local grocery stores, Shoppers, sells unbranded packs of roasted salted soy nuts for much cheaper than similar brand-named products you can buy online. I do have raw, dried soy beans, though, for making my own; next batch will be wasabi powdered roasted salted soy nuts!

Anyway, this savory oatmeal is a great simple and healthy meal any time of day.

Savory Oatmeal with Soy Nuts and Wakame Seaweed
Makes 1 serving

1/2 cup (50 grams) rolled (old fashioned) oats
1 cup water
1/4 cup soymilk

1 tsp soy sauce
small handful of dried, pre-cut wakame seaweed

small handful of soy nuts
  1. Bring water to boil in a small saucepan. Add oats and reduce to medium heat. Simmer 3 minutes, until water has reduced and oats are starting to thicken.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add soymilk and wakame, stirring for another 1 minute.
  3. Add soy sauce and stir another minute or until seaweed has expanded and is tender.
  4. Pour oatmeal into a bowl, garnish with soy nuts, and enjoy.

[edit: I reduced the amounts in the recipe as I've found that 3/4 cups rolled oats is indeed a large portion, and that 1/2 cup is about right for one person.]

1 comment:

  1. Hi William,

    I'm an editor for Shape.com, the website for SHAPE magazine. I'm interested in talking to you about sharing your recipe on our site. Can you please contact me? (brisher [at] shape [dot] com)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete