Friday, January 11, 2013

And We're Off

Time slips by--we're already 11 days into 2013! Hope the new year's kicking off well for everyone.

I have a little good news to share: one of my savory oatmeal recipes is part of a recipe slideshow on Shape Magazine's website! Many thanks to Shape for reaching out with this opportunity.

A little musing, though: this marks the two-year mark for Escapades in Cookery. I'm starting to think I might have to rename the blog, though. You see, when I first started it, I was just looking to catalog my amateur cooking efforts. Tracking your progress helps to motivate you, sort of pressuring you to be more consistent in effort, as well as providing a history of progress to look back on, and helping to organize and develop your thoughts as you write. Turns out I got deeper into cooking as I went, and feel like "escapades" may not describe my cooking attempts anymore. I've developed enough that I no longer feel like my cooking is just an ignorant adventure into the unknown. Well, we'll see if I can come up with something better, and when I find time to do a redesign, and whether I can figure out a good way to keep Escapades linked to a potential new blog, since there's still content here that people seem to be seeking out (thanks for looking!).

As for the pretty picture below, it's just some cornbread (gluten-free of course) and homemade soy milk. Almost like that classic Taiwanese breakfast of soy milk (savory or sweet) and you tiao (oily, airy breadsticks) or shao bing (a sesame seeded flat bread). Yes, unfortunately both you tiao and shao bing have gluten, and no, I don't eat them anymore. Sad face.


This was my second attempt at cornbread, and something's just not been appealing to me about both attempts. I think it's just the cornmeal I'm using is medium-grind, so there are these coarse grains dispersed throughout the bread. It may also be the cornmeal that's got a certain twang to its flavor. Will have to try with another brand eventually (this brand was Bob's Redmill), but I don't often bake.

As for the soy milk, if you make your own, you can get a much clearer and better bean-y flavor than the American soy milks you can find in the store. Of course, they're probably trying to mask it to make it more similar to cow's milk, not to mention thickening it for the same reason. If you don't want to make your own and need soy milk for Asian recipes, I've found Westsoy's unsweetened plain soy milk to be good for cooking with if you don't have easy access to Asian grocery stores.

If you do want to make your own, here's the recipe I followed. I simplified things a bit by not blending the beans to a pulp (I don't have a blender, but only a food processor), which also allowed me to just use a plain, fine-meshed sieve to strain the soy milk afterward.

0 comments:

Post a Comment