Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vegetables, Simply


With my vegetables, I've lately been trying to keep things simple. Just stir-frying with some garlic and salt (a common approach with kong xin cai). Vegetables already have a lot of flavor on their own (hell, we eat them raw in Western cuisine a lot), and stir-frying with a little salt helps to bring out the flavor and make them tender.

I find that this works great with the mildly sweet Napa cabbage. Bok choy, on the other hand has a stronger flavor and a little bitterness, making a little more flavoring desirable, in my opinion. I suppose that's why often a little soy sauce, and maybe oyster sauce or whatever else, is added besides garlic.

Or, maybe you've got some lu rou braising soup on hand you can toss the vegetables with. (I subscribe to the pork belly version rather than the ground pork version, which makes it easier to separate soup from meat.) So flexible and tasty an ingredient to have--but of course only after you've made a batch.


4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just stumbled upon this blog earlier while searching for info on black rice. And I must say, I love this site. I love your simple recipes, photos, and descriptions. I'll be your follower from now on. How I wish you have a Facebook page so it will be easier for me since I hardly check my emails. More power to you, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shareena! And getting a Facebook page going sounds like a good idea.

      Delete
  2. Let me know when your Facebook page is up. It's going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete