Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dark Soy Sauce is Less Salty


Well, lesson learned. It's happened a couple times now where I've marinated something in a dark soy sauce mixture, or used primarily dark soy sauce instead of light (which is "regular") soy sauce to season a soup, only to find on cooking the food up that there was very little saltiness. I was mystified because the first bottle of dark soy sauce I bought, myself, was saltier than the light soy sauces I'd used. As about.com tells it though, dark soy sauce is less salty and more full-bodied in flavor than regular soy sauce. Which comports with my subsequent experiences with dark soy sauce. Now I know I need to take that into account for desired saltiness when using dark soy sauce.

As for the picture above, it's of the leftover marinade I used on a pork shoulder recently: a food processor-chopped blend of onion, garlic, ginger, scallion, bird chilies, sugar, and dark soy sauce. I was about to toss it out when it struck me that the texture resembled that of shacha sauce or the blend of food processed ingredients in freshly made curries. So, instead I decided to try using it as the seasoning sauce for some stir-fried peppers.

It smelled fantastic stir-frying. But, as just discussed, dark soy sauce isn't so salty, and the flavors didn't come through very well on eating. Right, light soy sauce next time, or a mixture of light and dark. Or adding some salt.


Looks fantastic, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment